In the past, and even in many practices today, dentists have used mercury fillings to fill cavities. At the same time, this material is formulated with approximately 50% mercury—a heavy metal that is toxic to the brain, kidneys, heart, and immune system. Many patients are unaware of why silver mercury fillings are dangerous. Dr. Beata A. Carlson and Associates of Natural and Cosmetic Dentistry in Clearwater, Florida, educates her patients on how dangerous silver mercury fillings can be and help them determine if removal and replacement are suitable for their smiles.
How dangerous are silver-mercury fillings?
That’s a question many people are asking these days, and for a good reason! Mercury is a toxic metal, and it’s widely known that these fillings pose several serious health risks. For starters, silver-mercury fillings can release toxins into your body over time. This can cause many health problems, including neurological issues, heart problems, and even death. In addition, mercury fillings can also cause severe damage to your smile. They can corrode over time, leading to cavities and even the entrance of bacteria that can cause severe infection. This infection may result in the need for root canal therapy or even the permanent extraction of a tooth impacted by bacteria.
So why are silver mercury fillings still used?
Silver mercury fillings are still used despite the dangers they pose because they’re cheap, easy to install, and durable. However, many people choose to have their silver mercury fillings removed and replaced with alternatives, such as composite resin, to restore their smile safely yet effectively.
What can I do about my silver-mercury fillings?
The best way to deal with silver-mercury fillings is to remove and replace them with a safe material. This can be a costly process, but it is worth protecting your health. Dr. Beata A. Carlson and Associates and their team in Clearwater are pleased to provide alternative materials better for the smile, such as composite resin. Composite resin is a biological and biocompatible material, and it is also more aesthetic. Additionally, it does not expand and contract, ensuring a proper seal of the tooth’s structure and significantly reducing the risk of bacteria entering the tooth’s inner canals and resulting in infections.
Proper removal and protection ensure safety and allow patients to have their unsightly, harmful mercury fillings replaced with quality composite resin instead! We follow the IAOMT (International Academy of Oral Medicine & Toxicology) SMART (Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal) protocol to ensure that safe removal is practiced.
Take charge of your oral health today with the assistance of Dr. Beata A. Carlson and her team!
Suppose you currently have silver mercury fillings and want them safely removed and replaced with a skilled biocompatible and biological dental professional. In that case, it is time to call our Clearwater, FL office. Connect with our front office team at 727-888-6523 to request a consultation appointment with our team, conveniently located at 1825 Sunset Point Road. We are open to new and returning patients interested in creating great smiles—naturally! The risks posed by these types of dental work can be reduced significantly if you’re proactive about protecting your health and having your fillings addressed.
Back to Blog Articles Page