Gum disease is incredibly common in the United States, affecting over half of adults over the age of 30. However, even though it is common, it is not something that should be taken lightly. In addition to the toll it takes on your oral health, gum disease has been linked to several serious health conditions, such as heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, and more. At Natural & Cosmetic Dentistry in Clearwater, FL, our holistic team of dentists provides non-surgical gum disease treatment to restore your gums to health.
One of the biggest gum (periodontal) disease causes is insufficient oral hygiene (daily brushing and flossing and regular professional cleanings), but there are also other factors that can contribute to periodontal disease, such as pregnancy and hormone changes, genetics, and certain medications and illnesses. Signs of gum disease include:
- Swollen, red, or painful gums
- Bleeding gums or “pink in the sink” when you brush
- Receding gums
- Bad breath
- Loose teeth
Non-surgical periodontal therapy
For many years, invasive surgical treatments were the mainstay in gum disease treatment. While these therapies can be helpful, they require healing and recovery and are at greater risk of side effects such as infections. At Natural & Cosmetic Dentistry, we offer patients gentle—yet effective—solutions to restore their gums to health. The overall goal of all gum disease therapies is to eliminate the pockets of infectious material and plaque buildup on the teeth and beneath the gum line, and to prevent these issues from developing again in the future.
- Scaling and root planing are a deep cleaning procedure in which we first remove tartar beneath the gum line and clean out pockets where bacteria flourish, and then smooth out the tooth root to help your gums reattach to your teeth
- Laser assisted gum disease treatment can also be used to clear away the disease-causing bacteria and eliminate the pockets associated with gum disease
- The Perio Protect system is a minimally invasive and highly effective treatment option for gum disease that uses clear, comfortable trays that you place in your mouth with a disinfecting medication to clean your gums and maintain your healthy smile
If you have noticed the signs of gum disease, it is important not to delay in seeking treatment. The earlier that gum disease is caught and treated, the easier and less costly your gum disease therapy will be and the sooner you can get back to flashing your healthy smile! Call our Clearwater, FL office today to learn more about your non-surgical gum disease treatment options – 727-888-6523.