Dr. Beata A. Carlson and associates at Natural and Cosmetic Dentistry in Clearwater, Florida, work directly with patients to help them with their dental and oral health needs. If you have been diagnosed with a condition known as TMJ/TMD, you may be familiar with the pain and discomfort that this issue can cause. The TMJ, or “temporomandibular joint,” is the jaw joint that hinges both the upper and lower jaw. It allows the mouth to open and close for talking, laughing, and eating. If the jaw is dysfunctional, it can cause pain and even lockjaw.
What are some natural ways to address TMJ/TMD?
If you are seeking natural remedies and ways to address TMJ/TMD, consider some of the following recommendations from our team:
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to clean your teeth. Brushes with stiff bristles can irritate the delicate tissues inside your mouth and cause pain or discomfort from TMJ/TMD
- Consider using a dental night guard. Using one of these devices at night may help to prevent clenching or grinding, which can strain your jaw muscles and lead to pain or discomfort in the area.
- Use warmth therapy when you have flare-ups of pain and seek relief with arnica.
- Ensure you eat a healthy diet rich in fruits, vegetables, lean protein sources, and fiber. A nutritious diet will ensure your body has the nutrients to function correctly and maintain proper overall health.
- Patients with conditions like TMJ/TMD in conjunction with issues such as bruxism, which causes unwanted clenching and grinding of the teeth at night, may benefit from stress-reduction solutions. Yoga throughout the day can help you relax, thus reducing bruxism and, in turn, the discomfort caused by related TMJ/TMD issues.
- Consider a product such as the Myobrace device, which can assist with keeping the bite properly aligned and alleviate many of the issues associated with TMJ/TMD.
What is Myobrace?
The Myobrace treatment effectively alleviates moderate to severe TMJ/TMD for many patients. This appliance is worn to help shift the teeth into proper positioning to alleviate bite issues that may arise alongside temporomandibular joint disorder. This product can also lessen the damage caused by coexisting conditions such as bruxism, which causes damage to the teeth due to clenching and grinding. The Myobrace device is worn for a specific period to alleviate problems associated with TMJ/TMD without medication or invasive procedures.
Schedule an appointment to learn more about your treatment options!
If you have additional questions about TMJ/TMD or would like to schedule an appointment at our practice, please contact Natural and Cosmetic Dentistry today.
Our team is here to help all patients in the Clearwater, FL, area find relief from their symptoms and improve their oral health. Call 727-888-6523 to request a consultation visit with our team at 1825 Sunset Point Road.
Back to Blog Articles Page